Error ZFS-8000-8A on 9.1 under VMware

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Fri Apr 5 11:14:40 UTC 2013

Zeus Panchenko <zeus at ibs.dn.ua> wrote:

> I face weird situation ... may somebody advice, please?
>
> Under VMware ESX 4.1.2 two FreeBSD-9.1-amd64-on-ZFS boxes were set.
> on both of them open-vm-tools are installed
>
> after some time of correct functionality, I'm getting error ZFS-8000-8A
> on both of the boxes ...
>
> after corrupted files removal and `zpool clean' no errors reported by
> `zpool scrub'

Are you sure the "Permanent errors" are (or were) actually permanent?

If they are, you should get an error message when cat'ing the
supposedly affected files to /dev/null and the files should show
up again when scrubbing the pool without deleting any files first.

Depending on the error, reading the files again can also trigger kernel
messages that could be useful to analyse the problem.

I'm not using VMware, but in my experience ZFS treats some temporary
errors in non-redundant configurations as permanent until the pool
is scrubbed. It happens rarely, so I haven't properly looked into this
yet.

Fabian