mounting failed with error 2

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 4 16:03:15 UTC 2013

on 01/04/2013 23:52 Jay Borkenhagen said the following:
> Andriy Gapon writes:
>  > on 01/04/2013 22:57 Jay Borkenhagen said the following:
>  > > Hi FS,
>  > >
>  > > I am attempting to follow Niclas Zeising's updated directions at
>  > > https://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE for
>  > > "Installing FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE (or later) Root on ZFS using GPT."
>  >
>  > It doesn't appear that you've mentioned what version of FreeBSD you are using.
>
> Hi,
>
> I realized I had forgotten to write that as soon as I hit 'send'. :)
>
> I am using a vanilla 9.1-RELEASE memstick to install.

My first suggestion would be to try an image with recent stable/9 if you can find
or produce it.

Failing that, you can set vfs.zfs.debug=1 at loader prompt before booting.  That
could shed some light on what is going wrong.  The most likely possibility is that
/boot/zfs/zpool.cache in the boot/root filesystem of the boot/root pool does not
have an entry for the root pool.

Further, I believe that instructions on the Niclas' page won't result in a
bootable pool with 9.0 or 9.1.  With stable/9 they should work.
The problem is that zpool.cache is not populated at all.
You can try to specify cachefile property to zpool create and then copy
zpool.cache to boot/zfs/ on the newly created pool.

--
Andriy Gapon