AW: AW: AW: ZFS: Corrupted pool metadata after adding vdev to a pool - no opportunity to rescue data from healthy vdevs? Remove a vdev? Rewrite metadata?

Thomas Göllner (Newsletter) Newsletter at goelli.de
Fri Sep 14 12:25:39 UTC 2012

> Try reading Max Bruning's blog at http://mbruning.blogspot.com/, there's a good data walk on raidz and raidz on-disk format.

I'll do that, thanks for pointing me to it.

>> I also think there is no way to write new or edit the lables of the discs?

>This idea is called Block Pointer Rewrite and is not implemented yet. I have found no code to do that.

I thought it may come to this -.- Because during my last reading I had to learn, that I have to find the "root block pointer" to recover the maybe overwritten labels... As it changes place and content with each copy on write process (each txg?) it will be a search for the needle in the haystack...