clustered file systems

Mike Carlson mike at bayphoto.com
Tue Sep 11 17:42:30 UTC 2012

On 9/10/2012 2:58 PM, Jurgen Weber wrote:
> Guys
>
> I require a SAN solution for a mail server implementation I am
> designing. The design I am looking for is the following:
>
> https://www.communigate.com/cgatepro/ClusterDynamic.html#OSCluster
>
> This means I require some sort of SAN storage managed by a clustered
> FS, having very little SAN + ClusterFS experience I am research the
> options available to me. FreeBSD being my OS of choice but I found the
> following:
>
> http://blog.elitecoderz.net/cluster-filesystem-for-freebsd-gfs-ocfs2/2010/06/
>

> This blogger mentions that their is no Clustered FS support at this
> point in time for FreeBSD which I find astonishing but I have been
> unable to find anything except for a GlusterFS port using fuse (not
> ideal).
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks

MooseFS is in the ports tree ( sysutils/moosefs-master ,
sysutils/moosefs-chunkserver  , sysutils/moosefs-client )

I tested it out on a few VM's nearly two years ago on FreeBSD 7 or 8,
and it was as responsive as I could expect from three VM's running on
the same desktop.

If I had the resources and time, I would love to stress test it and see
how it scales.

I do agree that FreeBSD could really use a good clustered filesystem. I
thought someone was working on CephFS at one point but I can no longer
find any references to that.

Mike C