zfs send -r missing - but documented in zfs(8)

Thomas Steen Rasmussen thomas at gibfest.dk
Sun Sep 2 16:40:24 UTC 2012

Hello list,

For some reason it seems like the -r argument to "zfs send" isn't
implemented in FreeBSD. It is documented in the usage output
seen below:

# zfs send -r
invalid option 'r'
usage:
         send [-DnPpRrv] [-i snapshot | -I snapshot] <snapshot>

For the property list, run: zfs set|get

For the delegated permission list, run: zfs allow|unallow

This is on a recent 9-STABLE:
# uname -rms
FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE amd64

The option is also documented in the manpage zfs(8):

          -r      Recursively send all descendant snapshots.  This is
similar
                  to the -R flag, but information about deleted and renamed
                  datasets is not included, and property information is only
                  included if the -p flag is specified.

I've checked the source and
/usr/src/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/cmd/zfs/zfs_main.c doesn't contain
any traces of a -r option in zfs_do_send()

I've also checked the IllumOS source and the situation is the same
there, the option is documented but not present in the code:
https://github.com/illumos/illumos-gate/blob/master/usr/src/cmd/zfs/zfs_main.c#L3543

Does anyone know what is going on here ? Either the code should be imported,
whereever it is, or the manpage and usage info of zfs(8) needs updating.

Best regards,

Thomas Steen Rasmussen