ZFS RaidZ-2 problems

Ronald Klop ronald-freebsd8 at klop.yi.org
Tue Oct 30 16:10:38 UTC 2012

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 15:37:55 +0100, Paul Wootton
<paul-freebsd at fletchermoorland.co.uk> wrote:

> On 10/30/12 12:04, Dennis Glatting wrote:
>> I've had this problem too. Here is what I can tell you for my case. ...
>> I replaced the card, the cable, and the disks themselves leaving only
>> one other possibility -- the power supply. The faulting array was on a
>> separate cable from the power supply. I replaced the power supply,
>> going from a 1,000W to 1,300W, and the power cables to the disks. Not a
>> problem since.
>
> While I can accept that I might have a bad power supply. or cables, my
> main concern is that I have only 1 drive showing as "Unavail" on a
> RAIDZ-2 and the pack is showing "Faulted".
> I would have expected that pack to continue working with 2 bad drives,
> and would have failed if I had 3rd one fail
>
> Paul

Isn't your problem something else than a non-working pool with one broken
disk. I guess it still worked before you exported it. Your actual problem
is 'zpool import' does not work for your pool. Maybe there is more broken
than one disk.

Why did you export/import to fix anything in stead of replacing the
faulted disk?

(I'm not into the code details of ZFS, so can't help you with everything.)

Ronald.