kern/136865: [nfs] [patch] NFS exports atomic and on-the-fly atomic updates

Martin Birgmeier Martin.Birgmeier at aon.at
Sat Oct 20 09:50:01 UTC 2012

The following reply was made to PR kern/136865; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Martin Birgmeier <Martin.Birgmeier at aon.at>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, simon at comsys.ntu-kpi.kiev.ua
Subject: Re: kern/136865: [nfs] [patch] NFS exports atomic and on-the-fly
 atomic updates
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 11:43:17 +0200

 Andrey,

 I'd really like to use this. However, I need to use it with FreeBSD 7.4,
 8.2, and 9.0 (and 9.1 in the near future); I tried to backport your
 changes, but this turned out to be too difficult for me.

 I believe your work could be more easily adopted (even into the core
 FreeBSD sources) provided that
   - patches for all supported branches of FreeBSD were available and
   - there existed a simple knob in rc.conf where one switches between
 the old mountd and the new nfse

 I guess that for the latter you'd also need to introduce some
 compatibility shims into your kernel changes, such that a single kernel
 could support both methods.

 What is your opinion?

 Regards,

 Martin

 p.s. I have seen that just a few days a workaround was committed to
 suspend the nfs daemons while mountd reloads the exports list, but this
 is just a stopgap (as mentioned in the commit message). I'd much more
 prefer nfse.