ZFS over NFS issue with linux clients

Alexey Tyurikov alexey.tyurikov at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 08:50:27 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I'm looking for people using FreeBSD 9.0 amd64 ZFS over NFS (v3 and v4)
with Linux clients. My clients (last CentOS6 and Debian6) don't use cache
for files lying on ZFS over NFS. Tested:

 $ grep something /nfs_zfs/file-100MB # network activity, client read the
file over NFS (slow)
 $ grep something /nfs_zfs/file-100MB # network activity, client read the
file over NFS once again (slow)

At the same time UFS over NFS works like expected:

 $ grep something /nfs_ufs/file-100MB # network activity, client read the
file over NFS (slow)
 $ grep something /nfs_ufs/file-100MB # no network activity, client read
the file from cache (fast)

Could anyone test it?

Best regards
--