ZFS background/async destroy feature: MFC timeframe?

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 17:48:04 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Freddie Cash <fjwcash at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just wondering when the zfs background/async destroy feature is
> planned to be MFC'd?  Is the 9.1 release process holding it up?
>
> Is there any way to manually patch it into 9-STABLE?
>
> We have a system that is trying to destroy a 1 TB temp filesystem on import
> of the pool, which is taking way too long to do (over 3 days so far).
> Was hoping to test out the background destroy to see if it would work
> in this situation.

The commits in question are the following:

[1] r236884: zfs feature support, June 11, MFC after 1 month
[2] r238422: fixes for defer-destroy, July 13, MFC after 1 week
[3] r238926: fixes for zpool feature support, July 30, MFC after 2 weeks

There may be others, but those appear to be the main ones for enabling
async snapshot destroy.

The mailing list thread (ZFS new SPA) includes a link [4] which
includes a file called 9-stable-zfs-features.patch.gz which appears to
be what I want to test.  Wondering if anyone has tested it as yet.

[1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-head/2012-June/037825.html
[2] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-head/2012-July/038766.html
[3] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-head/2012-July/039172.html
[4] http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/zfs/