ZFS: Panic when attempting to delete certain data

Steven Schlansker stevenschlansker at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 18:34:45 UTC 2012

On Nov 27, 2012, at 10:25 AM, Josh Beard <josh at signalboxes.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a system that I can consistently reproduce a panic on when trying to
> delete certain data.  The data is data that was rsynced from another system
> - nothing terribly unique.  This has been ongoing from several months,
> starting with 9.0-RELEASE and now running 9.1-RC3.
> <snip>

Do you have dedupe turned on?  I (and others, from what I've gathered) had a lot of trouble with
panics and system hangs when deleting deduped data with insufficient RAM.

If that is the case, my only recourse turned out to be getting enough RAM in the box to offload
the data, destroy the filesystem, and start over…