gjournal and UFS snapshots

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass at gmx.com
Sun Nov 25 10:19:23 UTC 2012

Hi,

  I have a fileserver which uses geom journaling. I'd like to add some kind
of snapshot solution. I'd like to take a weekly snapshot and have them RO
mounted so users can access them. The number of snapshots I am after is
two and the speed of snapshoting is not very important given that it will
be taken at night. FS activity never ceases, the system is also a low traffic
mail server. Migrating to ZFS is not an option, the system is an old x86 with
1GB of RAM(It is an option but you know... that's not up to me).

  I am bit hesitant to do it because I have seen reports about panics regarding
gjounal and ufs snapshots. I currently use the 8 branch. So, is someone using
UFS with geom journaling and a few FS snapshots?
My numbers are like this:
> %df -ih /storage/
> Filesystem                 Size    Used   Avail Capacity iused ifree %iused  Mounted on
> /dev/mirror/s2a.journal    1.8T    712G    974G    42%    688k   19M    3%   /storage

Thanks, Nikos