kern/150503: [zfs] ZFS disks are UNAVAIL and corrupted after reboot

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Fri Nov 9 15:40:02 UTC 2012

The following reply was made to PR kern/150503; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>
To: Andriy Gapon <avg at FreeBSD.org>
Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, william.franck at oceasys.net,
 Martin Matuska <mm at FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: kern/150503: [zfs] ZFS disks are UNAVAIL and corrupted after
 reboot
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 16:34:54 +0100

 On 11/09/12 16:14, Andriy Gapon wrote:
 >>     pool: tank
 >>     state: UNAVAIL
 >>   status: One or more devices could not be opened.  There are insufficient
 >>            replicas for the pool to continue functioning.
 >>   action: Attach the missing device and online it using 'zpool online'.
 >>       see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-3C
 >>      scan: none requested
 >>   config:
 >>
 >>            NAME                      STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
 >>            tank                      UNAVAIL      0     0     0
 >>              mirror-0                UNAVAIL      0     0     0
 >>                13149740312808713750  UNAVAIL      0     0     0  was
 >>   /dev/gpt/disk0
 >>                6984386892400701167   UNAVAIL      0     0     0  was
 >>   /dev/gpt/disk1
 >>              mirror-1                UNAVAIL      0     0     0
 >>                10066834453677312324  UNAVAIL      0     0     0  was
 >>   /dev/gpt/disk2
 >>                571766486195567663    UNAVAIL      0     0     0  was
 >>   /dev/gpt/disk3
 >

 > Commenting only on this piece.  After some ZFS changes from about a month ago you
 > can get this kind of output if your ZFS userland is older than your kernel ZFS.
 > If this is the case, the then above message is just symptom of that discrepancy.

 I also tried making make installkernel ; make installworld ; reboot, but
 had the same symptoms. luckily I was also able to rollback to a previous
 zfs snapshot from the USB key after the export/import trick.

 >> Trying to mount root from zfs:tank []...
 >>   Mounting from zfs:tank failed with error 22
 >
 > 22 is EINVAL, not sure how to interpret this failure.
 > Could be a result of zpool.cache being produced by the older code, but not sure...

 Uhm I don't know how to generate a new zpool.cache from a newly update
 system, since I can't export/import the root and don't have a newer
 system on a USB key. I'll have to produce one perhaps.

 --
 Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>