Convert standalone zpool to RAID1 with data in place

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Mon Nov 5 17:38:13 UTC 2012

On 05.11.12 18:58, Fox F wrote:

> Thank you. It sounds like I need to use gstripe then. My need is to
> have two 3TB mirrors, for which I need a striped device of 1TB + 2TB
> given my current hardware. Thanks for the help.

It seems this is only sensible if you have now one 1TB and one 2TB drive
and look at mirroring them to another 3TB drive.

My worry with using gstripe would be the order in which metadata is
tasted and whether you might not end up in the unfortunately situation
where for some reason ZFS tastes the drives first...

Of course, with the classing conversion of single disk vdevs to mirrors,
you need same size drives, or you could mirror your existing 1TB and 2TB
drives with two 2TB or two 3TB drives. You will not use all the capacity
initially, but then later if you replace, say the 1TB drive with a
larger one, the zpool will expand.

Daniel