Mirror of Raidz for data reliability

Marcelo Araujo araujobsdport at gmail.com
Fri May 18 01:34:21 UTC 2012

2012/5/17 George Kontostanos <gkontos.mail at gmail.com>

> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM, George Kontostanos
> <gkontos.mail at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Ok, after reading more carefully your first post I realized what you
> are trying to do.
>
> 2 Machines, 2 different controllers. Yet interconnected. So, in a way
> both machines would be able to see both controllers.
>
> This is very interesting but there are some implications.
>
> 1) Suppose you manage to create a mirror consisted by drives on those
> different controllers. If you reboot machine #1 machine#2 might panic.
> It is not like loosing a drive, here we are loosing a controller.

I don't know, why the machine#2 might panic. However, one controller will
be passive and not active.

> 2) Both machines have to be online and the pool has to be mounted
> readonly on the standby! You don't want both of them to accidentally
> write at the same pool.

Not no.You can use Devd to start some scripts to mount the FS in another
machine or something like that.
But I can't be focused only in this scenario, I believe there are much more
application for it.

> 3) HAST requires tcp to work therefore it is a no go. HAST also works
> in the vdev level. Therefore the resources should not be online on the
> standby server.
>
> Good luck, this is certainly very interesting.

Thanks dear George, any input and ideas is always welcome.

Best Regards,
--
Marcelo Araujo
araujo at FreeBSD.org