NFSv4 Questions

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Mon May 7 23:40:25 UTC 2012

Andrey Simonenko wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 04:36:03PM -0400, Rick Macklem wrote:
> >
> > Also, be sure to check "man nfsv4" and maybe reference it (it is
> > currently
> > in the See Also list, but that might not be strong enough).
>
> There is another question not explained in documentation (I could not
> find the answer at least). Currently NFSv3 client uses reserved port
> for NFS mounts and uses non reserved port if "noresvport" is
> specified.
> NFSv4 client always uses non reserved port, ignoring the "resvport"
> option in the mount_nfs command.
>
> Such behaviour of NFS client was introduced in 1.18 version of
> fs/nfsclient/nfs_clvfsops.c [1], where the "resvport" flag is cleared
> for NFSv4 mounts.
>
> Why does "reserved port logic" differ in NFSv3 and NFSv4 clients?

It is my understanding that NFSv4 servers are not supposed to require
a "reserved" port#. However, at a quick glance, I can't find that stated
in RFC 3530. (It may be implied by the fact that NFSv4 uses a "user" based
security model and not a "host" based one.)

As such, the client should never need to "waste" a reserved port# on a NFSv4
connection.

rick