ZFS Kernel Panics with 32 and 64 bit versions of 8.3 and 9.0

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun May 6 15:14:14 UTC 2012

On Sun, 6 May 2012, Simon wrote:

> Are you suggesting that if a disk sector goes bad or memory corrupts few blocks
> of data, the entire zpool is gonna go bust? can the same occur with a ZRAID?
> I thought the ZFS was designed to overcome all these issues to begin with. Is
> this not the case?

ZFS is designed to work with failing disks, but not failing memory.
It is recommended to use only systems with ECC memory.

The OS itself (any OS!) is succeptible to crash/corruption due to
failing memory but without zfs's checksums, you might not be aware of
such corruptions or the crash might be more delayed.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn