Replacing dead drives in ZRAID2

Simon simon at optinet.com
Wed May 2 22:06:09 UTC 2012

I'm trying to figure out why it's not working with ahd driver. It's beginning to look
more and more as if I shouldn't use ZFS with ahd driver. That's why I asked for
someone to confirm whether or not the two can be used together. It also seems
that everyone moved on to SAS/SATA technology, albeit it's hard to believe.
There are few machine I have from early 2007, so 5 years old, that have the
same controller onboard. So while u320 is a decade old technology, many
servers been built using it in 2006+

Unless someone can confirm otherwise, I will assume ahd and ZFS do not
work well together when it comes to dying/swapping drives.

Having said the above, is there any FreeBSD RAID software I can use with
ahb driver that won't give me same issues I'm experiencing with ahd and ZFS?
vinum? gmirror? Can I expect them to work better with ahd given ahd cannot
handle pulling of working drives out of SAF-TE aware enclosure?

Thank you,
Simon