ZFS with multiple boot/root pools

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 2 07:50:37 UTC 2012

On 02/05/2012 06:28, Peter Jeremy wrote:

>> Apart from the wrinkle of having two different zpools, this is
>> essentially how ZFS boot environments work.

> Except that beadm/manageBE does a lot of other juggling to switch
> between BEs.

It does some other juggling, yes.  Mostly to do with snapshotting and
cloning and doing the trick to swap the roles of clone and original --
none of which would apply to your case with several zpools.

>> >http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/articles/install-on-zfs/ but there are
>> >several other treatments around.

> I've had a look through those notes and you are still specifying
> mountpoints for (eg) zroot/ROOT/9.0-RELEASE/usr - which implies you
> wind up with multiple /usr's mounted.

Yes.  That's deliberate, and /usr is treated as a special case, because
I want to keep instances /usr/src and /usr/obj paired up with the BE
built from them, and it makes things a lot easier if I can mount them
early at /usr/src or /usr/obj in order to do the build.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.