zfs fails to mount correctly during 8.2 -> 9.0 update

Volodymyr Kostyrko c.kworr at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 08:33:39 UTC 2012

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr at gmail.com> (from Fri, 02 Mar 2012
> 16:44:40 +0200):
>
>> After that 9.0 kernel was loaded with 8.2 userland. I know this is not
>> the right-and-only-one way of updating FreeBSD but it works for me
>> through releases. But this time something strange happened. During
>> system mount kernel spits out something like:
>>
>> Solaris: WARNING: metaslab_free_dva(): bad DVA 0:52834975928475
>>
>> It was something like one page of this lines.
>
> The ZFS in 9.0 and 8.3 detect some things in the pool which 8.2 does not
> detect. It seems that the boot with 9.0 repaired something in your pool,
> which 8.2 didn't detect. As you haven't provided the output of "zpool
> status -v" when the pool was in the RO state, it's less easy to
> determine what happened exactly.

I know that 9.0 can fix more things that 8.2. But I doubt 9.0 this time
fixed anything as it comes up with pool in readonly state. Maybe
something was fixed by 9.0 or maybe by scrub. I don't care really. The
machine is in production and problem is solved. Anyway I just added a
task to my list to recreate all upgraded pools when this would be available.

I haven't include output for "zpool status" because it was partially
gibberish due to running 8.2 tools with 8.2 lib over 9.0 module. However
as I recall it hasn't pointed any errors.

> In short: problem solved, you're system is OK (according to the problem
> detection code of the scrub) now, no need to worry.

I known, I know... I just ended up thinking that raising my voice to
inform others of possible flaws and clues even without full data can
help someone to investigate it better. Like this one:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/144214

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.