[zfs] need help with a bug (PR 156781)

Patrick Proniewski patpro at patpro.net
Sun Jun 10 07:00:43 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm running various FreeBSD 8 amd64 servers, and some of them use ZFS extensively. Unfortunately, I'm hit by the bug "PR 156781" (<http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=156781&cat=kern>).

After an undetermined uptime, the affected server will lose the ability to list some of its .zfs/.snappshot:

ls -l .zfs
ls: snapshot: Bad file descriptor

It doesn't look critical at this point, because snapshots still work (creation/deletion), but you won't be able to access them via cd .zfs/snapshot/...

In fact, it is critical. If you try to unmount the affected ZFS volume, your shell will freeze, and you have to reconnect in a new one. And more importantly, the whole OS will freeze when you issue a reboot, meaning it will never reboot until someone pushes the power button of the box.
It's a very nasty bug when your box is 400 km away in a data center, and you need to ask your hosting provider to push that button.

I would be happy if the PR 156781 could be modified so that it says its Severity is critical, and it affects both FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE-p5 amd64, FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p3 amd64, and FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE sparc64 (ie. not just FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE sparc64).
And I would be very very happy, if someone could fix this bug, it's unfortunately way out of my reach :/

	FreeBSD si 8.2-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p3 #0: Tue Sep 27 18:45:57 UTC 2011
	root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

	$ grep ZFS /var/run/dmesg.boot
	ZFS filesystem version 4
	ZFS storage pool version 15

	$ zpool upgrade -a
	This system is currently running ZFS pool version 15.

	All pools are formatted using this version.

	$ zfs upgrade -a
	0 filesystems upgraded
	265 filesystems already at this version

and

	FreeBSD rack.patpro.net 8.1-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE-p5 #0: Tue Sep 27 16:49:00 UTC 2011
	root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

	$ grep ZFS /var/run/dmesg.boot
	ZFS filesystem version 3
	ZFS storage pool version 14

	$ zpool upgrade -a
	This system is currently running ZFS pool version 14.

	All pools are formatted using this version.

	$ zfs upgrade -ra
	0 filesystems upgraded
	19 filesystems already at this version

regards,
patpro
(I'm subscribed to the digest, fell free to Cc. me)