UFS2 space usage

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Wed Jun 6 15:49:55 UTC 2012

"Simon" wrote:

> Take a look at man tunefs and the option -m Your issue is likely related to this.
> Besides that, UFS possibly uses more space to store metadata, etc... Haven't
> looked into this in long time, your inode size probably also affects total space
> available.

Apart from how many spare inodes you have, & the spare (root only
accesible), mainly think block sizes (eg fsize bsize as shown by
disklabel - though I see mine are now zero)  efficiency depends on
data type, a directory full of news & mail needs lots of little
files, so use small blocks, films=movies are more efficient with
large blocks.

man tunefs 	# -b
man newfs

> When you were copying your data, were you doing it as root as normal user?
> Normal user won't be able to go beyond the reserved 8% (default), but root
> can, although this is bad a idea long-term.
>
> -Simon
>
> On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 11:32:50 -0300, Rafael Henrique Faria wrote:
>
> >Hi.
>
> >I'm transferring a disk from my MacBook to my FreeBSD server, it's a 500GB
> >3,5" disk in an USB enclosure.
> >As I was using it in MacOS, it was formated with HFS+. So I transfered all
> >data from it to an second disk.
> >Then I reformatted the disk inside the FreeBSD 9.0, using GPT, and using
> >all disk (with HFS+ there was a EFI partition, plus a free space in the
> >beginning and in the end of the disk).
> >I used this options for newfs: "-U2 -o space".
>
> >The 500GB disk in HFS+, was with 2GB free, so 498GB in use. (Apple, uses 1
> >K as 1000 Bytes, and 1 M as 1000 K, so you really see 500GB of free space
> >and occupied).
>
> >After trying to move the data back to the 500GB disk formated in UFS2, 44GB
> >couldn't be transferred. There is no free space for all the data.
>
> >In FreeBSD it says that the disk have 458GB, and is using 415GB, and have
> >6.2GB free. But I still have 48GB of data to transfer to it.
>
> >Is HFS+ more optimized to store files then UFS2? There is something that I
> >can do to get more space for data?
>
> >Thanks in advance.
>
> >--
> >Rafael Henrique da Silva Faria

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".