"panic: snapblkfree: inconsistent block type" on FreeBSD 9.0 RELEASE

José García Juanino jjuanino at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 07:49:38 UTC 2012

On 6 June 2012 08:24, Yamagi Burmeister <lists at yamagi.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 22:37:21 +0200 Jose Garcia Juanino <jjuanino at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am almost sure I have not hardware failures. Indeed, after that panic,
>> I definitively removed all the remaining snapshots, and did a new fsck on
>> the filesystems. The system now goes smoothly, and the computer does not
>> panic anymore.
>
> If you're using SU+J this is a known problem. In 9.0-RELEASE creating
> and removing snapshots on filesystems with SU+J has a high chance to
> lead to panics, filesystem corruption and several more not so nice
> things. While there were some commits in 9-STABLE in that area,
> snapshots are still not working with SU+J. They are disabled and
> an error messages is printed when you try to create one.

Thanks for your reply. No, I have not journaling activated, are
filesystems with soft updates, but no journal. I am watching the
syslog, and after a crash (4 weeks ago) I see that a filesystem was
not fully cleaned at startup:

<filesystem>: UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.

The system stopped, and a single user shell opened. But the system
administrator at this moment simply ignored that issue, and hit "exit"
in the shell. I believe that error was the start of my headaches:
never an unclean filesystem must be mounted.

Regards