ZFS hanging

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Fri Jul 13 15:07:10 UTC 2012

Lytochkin Boris <lytboris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Fabian Keil
> <freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de> wrote:
> > fk at r500 ~ $zpool status
> > load: 0.15  cmd: zpool 2698 [spa_namespace_lock] 543.23r 0.00u 0.12s 0% 2908k
>
> This sounds familiar with http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=163770
> Try playing with kern.maxvnodes.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the system is my laptop and I already
set kern.maxvnodes=400000 which I suspect is more than I'll ever need.

Currently I uses less than a tenth of this, but I'll keep an eye on
it the next time the issue occurs.

I usually reach this deadlock after losing the vdev in a single-vdev pool.
My suspicion is that the deadlock is caused by some kind of "failure to
communicate" between ZFS and the various geom layers involved.

I already know that losing vdevs with the pool configuration I use
can cause http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/162010
and http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/162036 and I
suspect that the deadlock is just another symptom of the same issue.

Fabian