ZFS: .zfs/snapshot directory vanished

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 6 12:35:57 UTC 2012

On 06/07/2012 13:19, Attila Bogár wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD-9 STABLE.
>
> I noticed, that my .zfs/snapshot directories vanished.  Not all off them
> though, a few datasets have it available.
>
> # cd /export/home/user/.zfs/snapshot
> /export/home/user/.zfs/snapshot: Not a directory.
>
> # cd /export/home/user/.zfs
> # find .
> .
> find: ./snapshot: Bad file descriptor
> ./shares
>
> This looks similar to
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2012-February/013684.html
> - though it's on 9 and I never turned on dedup.
>
> I appreciate any help solving this problem.

Actually, it turned out that turning dedup on or off had no effect.
That was a red herring.

Neither did splitting the mirror and building a completely new zpool and
using zfs send ... | zfs receive ... to transfer the data prevent the
problem occurring.

There's a PR about this: kern/156781

Only solution I've found to getting the snapshot dirs back is to reboot,
but ZFS will crash on shutdown when this problem is occurring.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.