ZIL on root pool?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Thu Jan 19 21:02:06 UTC 2012

Hello,

Two quick questions about 8.2-STABLE (from early June) w/v28:

Is this tidbit about adding a ZIL to a "zfs on root" pool accurate?

http://astralblue.livejournal.com/371755.html

The explanation makes sense, and I was able to add two Intel 320
drives in a mirror to my root pool.  It worked, all seemed fine.

So second question...  After removing the ZIL from the pool (which
generated no errors or complaints), upon rebooting I'm left with a
pool that no longer seems bootable (yes, I did set bootfs back).
I'm at the second(?) stage boot loader:

FreeBSD/x86 boot Default: zroot:/boot/kernel/kernel boot:

(that prompt does not have any options to list files, etc.  like
the next stage of the loader)

I'm going to netboot in a bit and try importing the pool, but I
also wanted to know if ZIL on a root pool is inherently a "bad"
thing or not.  Most of our 1U boxes are in a "everything in the
root pool" config and I'm actually doing some benchmarking on this
box to see if with SSD prices dropping we might want to add ZIL to
some select servers.  In a 1U, our options are limited, so if ZIL
on a root pool is a no-go, that would be good to know now rather
than later.

Thanks,

Charles