zfs detach/replace

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Sun Jan 1 19:54:12 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jan 01, 2012 at 11:03:21AM -0800, Michael DeMan wrote:
> Right, I botched it and did a 'replace' on a drive that is in an
> raidz2 pool.  replace is for replacing a mirrored drive.

I just want to clarify for readers: this statement is inaccurate.

"zpool replace" can (should) be used on anything (mirrors, raidzX,
etc.).

I have used "zpool replace" myself on FreeBSD on raidz1 without problems
for years.  Here's valid proof, and this is not "simulated" or done on a
VM or anything like that -- this is bare metal.

http://koitsu.wordpress.com/2010/07/22/freebsd-and-zfs-hot-swapping-sata-disks-with-ahci/

Full commands/output are provided there as well (there's a link within
my blog post providing full output).

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |