ZFS Snapshot problems

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Feb 17 10:24:59 UTC 2012

On 14/02/2012 14:40, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Hmmm... no.  That sounds like a thing to try when I have a day or so
> that I can take the machine down for.  Probably right around the point
> that I do the upgrade to 9.x.  Thinking about it, I'd probably split the
> mirror, rebuild one of the drives, pull the ZFSes across, boot from the
> rebuilt drive and then add the old drive back to the mirror.

Ah.  I've worked out what the problem is.  dedup.  Turning dedup off has
made everything behave normally.

I only turned on dedup as an experiment in the first place, so no great
loss.  However, it seems that the bad effects due to dedup only appeared
by chance -- the machine was running fine for months until a change in
operation triggered the problem.  That was what should have been a
completely innocuous change from using anoncvs to mirroring /home/ncvs
using csup(1) for the ports tree.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3