bin/145309: bsdlabel: Editing disk label invalidates the whole device

Andrey V. Elsukov ae at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 6 04:53:36 UTC 2012

On 04.02.2012 7:50, Yar Tikhiy wrote:
>  Hi there,
>
>  Sorry but FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE still appears to have this issue.  When
>  installed using BSD label partitioning scheme, a modification to
>  ada0's label seems to nuke the kernel's view of the disk -- I can't
>  think of a better way to explain it.  The disk itself is OK and the
>  change makes it OK to the disk but the kernel can no more use the root
>  partition until rebooted, returning weird errnos such as EIO or EXIO.
>  No idea here if the bug is limited to BSD label scheme.

Hi, Yar

When you are in single user mode your root filesystem is mounted read-only.
When you run bsdlabel it opens geom provider for writing and this triggers spoiling for it.
When bsdlabel closes provider GEOM_PART destroys it and creates again.
But VFS code seems loses it.

--
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov