NFS Problems

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Thu Dec 20 21:12:41 UTC 2012

Tim Gustafson wrote:
> > If you need locking to work, I'd suggest you try NFSv4.
>
> I'd like to, but we have Macintosh clients as well, and Mac has had
> serious problems with NFSv4 in the past, specifically related to its
> Kerberos support. Is it possible to have an NFSv4 server without
> Kerberos?

Yep. Using Kerberos for NFS is really orthogonal to NFSv4. The only
reason some people tie the two together is that the NFSv4.0 RFC required
support for RPCSEC_GSS (which is what sec=krb5 does). Although support
for AUTH_SYS wasn't required I believe all NFSv4 servers do support it
and I know it works for FreeBSD.

Just do the mounts without sec=krb5 and you'll be using NFSv4.0 over
AUTH_SYS (which is the old uid + gid list stuff NFS has always used).

I haven't tested it, but the NFSv4.0 client in Lion was supposed to
work ok. (I do know that the Leopard one didn't work well.)

rick