appropriate list for graid/ataraid questions ?

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Mon Dec 3 18:47:19 UTC 2012

Jason Usher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question or two about graid and ataraid (specifically, migrating a ataraid system to graid) and I wonder where I should post that ?
>
> I've posted to both -questions and -fs but gotten no responses.

Maybe freebsd-geom would be better.

I read your original question on the -fs. I don't have any experiences
with graid and only few with ataraid. We used gmirror instead, because
it is more universal (supporting migration of disks between different
machines)
Anyway - I think it can be possible to use graid with existing data,
because both should use the same metadata format (depending on HW / BIOS
manufacturer).

You can try it with some FreeBSD 9 Live CD / USB booted system with a
custom kernel (without ataraid support) and with graid loaded as a
module. Then you will see if your existing array will be recognized or not.

Miroslav Lachman

PS: don't try it on a production system without proper backup of your
valuable data.