Using AMD with NFS Mounts

Alexander Kabaev kabaev at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 23:52:50 UTC 2012

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 12:54:12 -0700
Tim Gustafson <tjg at soe.ucsc.edu> wrote:

> > Although I'd see it as an option initially, planning on supporting
> > both "forever" would just result in bloat and yet more software to
> > try and maintain, imho. (Theoretical comment, at least until a
> > solid autofs port exists.)
>
> I don't see that as a valid argument against adding an autofs port.
> Should we drop the port for Exim or Postgres, because ports for
> Sendmail and mySQL exist?

No, we should not. But we should recognize that current VFS namecache
architecture in FreeBSD makes autofs implementation very impractical
without implementing full nullfs-like vnode stacking, and _that_ should
be considered an argument against adding autofs port and for
re-architecting namecache. We've been through this discussion many
times before and all cards are marked in this game :)

--
Alexander Kabaev