Using AMD with NFS Mounts

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Aug 29 23:01:48 UTC 2012

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012, Rick Macklem wrote:

>> It would be more reasonable to re-use the Sun automounter code from
>> Illumos which should be under CDDL license like zfs. The Sun
>> automounter code is more mature than Linux automounter and has fewer
>> missing features and fewer bugs.
>>
> I had actually thought that the Mac OS X autofs was based on the Solaris
> one, but I could be incorrect?

You are probably correct.  I noticed that the Mac OS X Leopard autofs
template configuration files were byte-for-byte identical to those on
Solaris 10.  I also found that the Mac OS X automounter worked fine.

> with Alfred's port and there may be others I am not familiar with. I am
> also not familiar with any patent issues that might exist. Talk of patents
> does make me nervous, but I would hope that the CDDL'd code would be ok
> to include as a loadable module.)

The automounter seems rather low-tech and I can't imagine any active
patents which might apply to it.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn