Hang when importing pool

Karli Sjöberg Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se
Thu Aug 23 08:06:49 UTC 2012

23 aug 2012 kl. 06.04 skrev Marcelo Araujo:

2012/8/22 Karli Sjöberg <Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se<mailto:Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se>>

22 aug 2012 kl. 12.29 skrev Marcelo Araujo:

2012/8/15 Karli Sjöberg <Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se<mailto:Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se>>

as Marcelo Araujo suggested. See how long it´ll take before it stalls this time...

Dear Karli,

Any new or progress with your issue?

Hey man, glad to hear back from you!

Well, not much progress, I´m afraid. The constant reboot/import-loop didn´t seem to yield much even after a couple of days, so I´ve gotten the disks hooked up to yet another server we had and managed to spare. It´s fugly to say the least, but whatever gets the job done, right:)
http://i48.tinypic.com/1z4k0uu.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/34pxobd.jpg
Notice the "elegant" paperclip in the SuperMicro system´s ATX connector;)

The blade underneath is a Sun Fire X4140 from one of the two original Sun Storage 7310 HA cluster system that served this data from a JBOD before it was moved to the SuperMicro/FreeBSD system. It is equipped with even more RAM(64GB) but import still stalls like this:
http://i49.tinypic.com/2hxvcw3.jpg

Oddly enough, Wired RAM is only about 5-5.5GB but it hasn´t been doing anything productive for about an hour or so... Thoughts?

Dear,

Have you tried to import the pool in readonly mode?
     readonly=on | off
         If set to on, pool will be imported in read-only mode with the fol‐
         lowing restrictions:

           ·   Synchronous data in the intent log will not be accessible

           ·   Properties of the pool can not be changed

           ·   Datasets of this pool can only be mounted read-only

           ·   To write to a read-only pool, a export and import of the pool
               is required.

The first time I tried that, the import sort of finished. I was able to run "zpool status", but "zfs list" replied "no datasets available" and "zfs/zpool get all" replied "I/O currently suspended". So I ran "zpool export pool1", which also completed. But when I tried "zpool import -o readonly=on pool1" again it core-dumped.

After reboot I tried again with the same result. I have managed to make the dump available for you at:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/k8mmn8

I would be so glad if you could find something obvious in there, otherwise I´m done with this.

/Karli

Best Regards,
--
Marcelo Araujo
araujo at FreeBSD.org<mailto:araujo at FreeBSD.org>

Med Vänliga Hälsningar
Karli Sjöberg
Box 7079 (Visiting Address Kronåsvägen 8)
S-750 07 Uppsala, Sweden
Phone:  +46-(0)18-67 15 66
karli.sjoberg at slu.se<mailto:karli.sjoberg at adm.slu.se>