Hang when importing pool

Karli Sjöberg Karli.Sjoberg at slu.se
Wed Aug 1 05:34:30 UTC 2012

31 jul 2012 kl. 16.25 skrev Frank Bartels:

Hi,

I had a very similar problem three times before. The last time I
was able to find a working solution:

0. Add more RAM.

Can´t with the Core i5. Would have to scramble up a Xeon to push in 32G buffered. Will try leveraging with cache device before trying that.

1. Use zdb -h -e pool and find out the *last* good looking txg
  before the current txg.
2. zpool import -T txg -R /pool -o readonly=on pool

Finding txg´s looks "scary", hadn´t thought about readonly though, thanks.

2.1. if this does not work, try older txg
3. Backup your data.

Oh the irony. Yes, that was actually what I was going to do just after destroying those datasets. Have had the backup server just waiting for them all along:)

4. Recreate the pool (undo old mistakes, use gpt labels and proper alignment)

Yeah, I figure recreating and then recv´ing the datasets back in again.

5. Keep dedup=off if you have only 16 GB RAM.

Never wanted to have it active in the first place, so I agree.

6. Restore your data.

This is a very short description, but I think you get the idea.

Hope this helps,
Knarf