kern/167272: [zfs] ZFS Disks reordering causes ZFS to pick the wrong drive

Anna-Maria ichhasseesnamenauszuwaehlen at yahoo.ca
Thu Apr 26 15:50:13 UTC 2012

The following reply was made to PR kern/167272; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Anna-Maria <ichhasseesnamenauszuwaehlen at yahoo.ca>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, david.alves at gmx.fr
Subject: Re: kern/167272: [zfs] ZFS Disks reordering causes ZFS to pick the
 wrong drive
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:40:19 +0200

 --------------060700060302040105000702

 You can use the "zdb" command to see the guid of the disk, and use that
 to replace it.

 eg.

         children[2]:
             type: 'disk'
             id: 2
             guid: *713716085525288922*
             path: '/dev/*da21*'
             phys_path: '/dev/*da21*'
             whole_disk: 1
             *not_present: 1*
             metaslab_array: 13154506
             metaslab_shift: 25
             ashift: 9
             asize: 4289200128
             is_log: 1
             DTL: 13647709
             create_txg: 2302081

 zpool replace 713716085525288922 da31

 Also, I had a barely related problem with 8.2-RELEASE (or may have been
 the 8-STABLE from April which is in an iso on the ftp site), where
 rebooting would make ZFS use the wrong disk in the pool. (eg. my hot
 spare might end up being part of the raidz2, and so constantly create
 checksum errors until I scrub it or move it back). And then I tried
 warning others about it, and they would always say that I make no sense,
 and zfs uses the guid so can't get confused, etc. and only shows the
 label/device on the command output. So I tried reproducing it, and it
 was impossible for me to reproduce with 8-STABLE (October 2011). Your
 problem isn't quite the same, but may be related.

 Also in 8-STABLE, any time I do weird stuff like you did, the disk shows
 the guid on the next reboot instead of the old device name, and on the
 right it will add a comment saying "was da21". (but mostly I use gpt
 slices, so I might just not have enough experience with that particular
 problem).

 So I highly recommend you try 8.3-RELEASE (or 8-STABLE).

 And one more warning... if you ugrade to newer than 8.2-RELEAE, and have
 an old pool from 8.2-RELEASE and upgrade it to v28, you still can't
 remove logs. It is bugged. You need to destroy and recreate.

 --------------060700060302040105000702

   <head>

   </head>
     You can use the "zdb" command to see the guid of the disk, and use
     that to replace it.<br>
     eg. <br>
             children[2]:<br>
                 type: 'disk'<br>
                 id: 2<br>
                 whole_disk: 1<br>
                 metaslab_array: 13154506<br>
                 metaslab_shift: 25<br>
                 ashift: 9<br>
                 asize: 4289200128<br>
                 is_log: 1<br>
                 DTL: 13647709<br>
                 create_txg: 2302081<br>
     zpool replace 713716085525288922 da31<br>
     Also, I had a barely related problem with 8.2-RELEASE (or may have
     been the 8-STABLE from April which is in an iso on the ftp site),
     where rebooting would make ZFS use the wrong disk in the pool. (eg.
     my hot spare might end up being part of the raidz2, and so
     constantly create checksum errors until I scrub it or move it back).
     And then I tried warning others about it, and they would always say
     that I make no sense, and zfs uses the guid so can't get confused,
     etc. and only shows the label/device on the command output. So I
     tried reproducing it, and it was impossible for me to reproduce with
     8-STABLE (October 2011). Your problem isn't quite the same, but may
     be related.<br>
     Also in 8-STABLE, any time I do weird stuff like you did, the disk
     shows the guid on the next reboot instead of the old device name,
     and on the right it will add a comment saying "was da21". (but
     mostly I use gpt slices, so I might just not have enough experience
     with that particular problem).<br>
     So I highly recommend you try 8.3-RELEASE (or 8-STABLE).<br>
     And one more warning... if you ugrade to newer than 8.2-RELEAE, and
     have an old pool from 8.2-RELEASE and upgrade it to v28, you still
     can't remove logs. It is bugged. You need to destroy and recreate.<br>