ZFS and disk usage

Volodymyr Kostyrko c.kworr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 10:11:31 UTC 2012

Mark Schouten wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Op Dinsdag, 17-04-2012 om 11:55 schreef Volodymyr Kostyrko:
>> As they are zvols they do exists at /dev/zvol/storage/ and not
>> /storage/. Where did all that files came from?
>>
>> Can you post your iscsitgt setup?
>
> Ok, so now I feel like an ass. :) I followed this [1] link to setup this box. But I understand that I'm doing that all wrong?
>
> istgt.conf has the lun's defined like this:
>    LUN0 Storage /storage/default.do.not.remove 1GB
>    LUN1 Storage /storage/mail.https-ict.nl.OS 20GB
>    LUN2 Storage /storage/mail.https-ict.nl.DATA 400GB
>
> That should point to the /dev/zvol/storage/ devices?
>
> [1]: http://www.techjolts.com/2011/01/14/iscsi-target-with-zfs-freebsd/

As I never worked with istgt myself I can't really say, but yes this
somehow feels wrong to me.

As all your data could be potentially stored in raw files let's test it
another way. Could you create another zfs volume/istgt target and point
it at /dev/zvol/storage/new_volume?

  1. Would access to this new device work?
  2. Would some new file be created?
  3. Would some data be accounted to new_volume?

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.