an issue

Chris Rees crees at FreeBSD.org
Wed Apr 11 15:43:15 UTC 2012

On 11 April 2012 08:15, Chris Rees <crees at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 10 April 2012 16:28,  <yarl-baudig at mailoo.org> wrote:
>>

>> Hello, I got an issue on the installation of FreeBSD 9.0, went to
>> irc and somebody asked me to send this:
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/gL9sjcmV
>>

> Main issue we discussed here was receiving:
>
> <yarl> ATA status 51 (DRDY SERV ERR), error: 84 (ICRC ABRT)
> <yarl> RES: 51 84 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00
> <yarl> Retrying command
>
> when he tried to newfs the ada0s2a partition for root.
>
> It's 9.0-RELEASE.

I might suggest trying an ISO snapshot of 9-STABLE:

32-bit:
http://pub.allbsd.org/FreeBSD-snapshots/i386-i386/9.0-RELENG_9-20120411-JPSNAP

64-bit:
http://pub.allbsd.org/FreeBSD-snapshots/amd64-amd64/9.0-RELENG_9-20120411-JPSNAP

There was a recent thread (though I can't find it now :/) about some
ATA issues similiar to this, which were fixed in STABLE but were too
late to be merged to RELEASE.

If you would like something to try, I'd try those.

Chris