kern/166566: [zfs] zfs split renders 2 disk (MBR based) mirror unbootable

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 5 08:20:08 UTC 2012

The following reply was made to PR kern/166566; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andriy Gapon <avg at FreeBSD.org>
To: hartzell at alerce.com
Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: kern/166566: [zfs] zfs split renders 2 disk (MBR based) mirror
 unbootable
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 11:10:32 +0300

 on 02/04/2012 18:47 George Hartzell said the following:

 > Thanks for following up on this.
 >
 > Andriy Gapon writes:
 >  >
 >  > A few things missing from your port:
 >  >
 >  > 1. "Doesn't boot" is quite a poor description in comparison with
 >  > other details that you provided.  You should give more detailed
 >  > information of the boot failure.
 >
 > As the kernel is loading it fails to mount the root partition and
 > presents one with the minimal mountroot dialog.  Attempting to boot
 > from zfs:zroot or zfs:zsplitroot fails.  I remember that a question
 > mark lists various other devices but don't remember the particulars.

 Thank you for additional detailed information.
 Could you please set vfs.zfs.debug=1 in your loader.conf and reproduce the
 problem and then report messages that appear just before and during mount attempt?
 Pictures of your screen would do just fine if you are unable to capture the
 messages as text.  If you are unsure what to report please report more rather
 than less.

 --
 Andriy Gapon