Another Zpool management thing

Martin Cracauer cracauer at cons.org
Thu Sep 22 18:55:08 UTC 2011

I dd-copied a whole drive that had several slices, one of which holds
a single-disk ZFS in it (nothing mounted at the time of course).  At
this time both disks are in the machine.

Naturally, `zfs list` shows the name of the pool once.  `zfs import`
reports nothing.  `zpool status <poolname>` shows that the currently
recognized physical location of this pool is the new disk.  This isn't
what I want, I would like to mount the original from the old location.

Is there any way to reference a pool by it's /dev/ entry so that I can
rename the new copy? Destroying it would be fine, too, as long as it
doesn't affect the original one.

The zfs list (Sun's) mentioned a PR 6280547 for a `zpool rename` but
this doesn't seem to have been implemented.  FreeBSD-9 code as of
yesterday.

I know I can easily work around this by using the drive on a different
machine while this drive is alone, but out of curiosity I'd like to
know.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer at cons.org>   http://www.cons.org/cracauer/