NFS umount takes ages when no DNS available

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 22 03:58:17 UTC 2011

On 09/21/2011 16:50, Rick Macklem wrote:
> I'm not sure why the author felt that the getaddinfo() needed to be
> done before the check for the need to do an rpc?

I can't speak to the original author's intent, but I do know that going
all the way back to 1994 the advice I always received was to put
critical NFS server hosts in /etc/hosts. Perhaps given that fundamental
assumption this seemed reasonable.

The code goes all the way back to:
r74462 | alfred | 2001-03-19 04:50:13 -0800 (Mon, 19 Mar 2001)

I'll leave the commit log itself as an exercise for the reader, since
it's lengthy and informative, but not necessarily directly relevant to
this problem.

hth,

Doug

			-- OK Go