ZFS obn FreeBSD hardware model for 48 or 96 sata3 paths...

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Sep 20 16:01:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011, Freddie Cash wrote:

> L2ARC has extreme bandwidth limitations as compared with RAM.  Be careful what you wish for.
>
> For writes (7 MBps, I believe); there shouldn't be any limits on the reads.

If (for example) an SSD is used with a 200MB/s read rate for the
L2ARC, then the L2ARC is limited to 200MB/s (as compared with perhaps
10GB/s or 20GB/s for RAM).

The L2ARC is really all about eliminating the access latency of
rotating-rust but any device will provide far less bandwidth than
system RAM.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn