ZFS obn FreeBSD hardware model for 48 or 96 sata3 paths...

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Mon Sep 19 19:49:01 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 03:15:01PM -0400 I heard the voice of
Rich, and lo! it spake thus:

> You are assuming you can find such a motherboard.
>
> I would not make that assumption at this time.

And of course it's not enough to get that many lanes to the
northbridge (which you aren't gonna get anyway).  You have to have
that much bandwidth to the CPU package (which you aren't gonna get
even if you get that far; the 57GB/s calculated earlier is well over
what the highest speed HyperTransport of QPI can pass, much less the
links you'll find in real boards).

And then you need to have that much bandwidth out to memory (which you
also won't get even if you get all the former; triple channel
DDR3-1833 falls short).

There's something to be said for absurd overspec'ing to avoid having
to think too carefully about each piece.  But it relies on the absurd
not being absurdly absurd (which this is) as well as being realizable
(which this isn't).

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net