ZFS obn FreeBSD hardware model for 48 or 96 sata3 paths...

Jason Usher jusher71 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 18:49:46 UTC 2011

--- On Fri, 9/16/11, Julian Elischer <julian at freebsd.org> wrote:

what is it you are trying to achieve?  large storage, or high
transaction rates? (or both?)

I'm biased but I'd put a 160GB zil on a fusion-io card   and dedicate
8G of the ram to it's useage.

it's remarkable what a 20uSec turnaround time on your metadata can do..

---

I am optimizing for storage space - as much as possible for the budget.

So we are going with SATA3 drives (the 3TB ones) and raidz3 (even though it is a write-intensive application).

BUT, in the context of those miserly constraints, I'm trying to figure out what mistakes to avoid and what optimizations are worth making...

The fusion-io would be great, but another $5k (or more) is not in the budget.  I'm glad we can always add a ZIL after the fact, and maybe we will do so with a cheaper (OCZ ?) pcie based SSD...