Slow NFSv4 performance, was: Re: ZFSv28+NFSv4 poor file creation performance, "sync=disabled" has no effect

David Brodbeck brodbd at uw.edu
Wed Sep 7 23:35:15 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> Basically, unless you need the better byte range locking or ACLs, you can
> just
> use NFSv3. I don't think NFSv4 will ever replace NFSv3. It was designed
> for a somewhat different problem space.

Unfortunately I do need the ACLs.  We have a lot of shared projects and the
group membership limit in NFS bites us pretty badly, so we use ACLs to work
around it.

There are other things in NFSv4 we need too, but ACLs are a biggie.

I think I'm going to look at OpenIndiana next.  It should give similar
performance to what we're seeing with OpenSolaris, but unlike OpenSolaris
it's still maintained.  A major reason I was hoping to go with FreeBSD
instead (other than familiarity) is better hardware support, though. Finding
disk controllers that work with Solaris is a real headache.

--
David Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics