gptzfsboot and 4k sector raidz

Trent Nelson trent at snakebite.org
Fri Sep 2 15:07:41 UTC 2011

On 01-Sep-11 1:46 PM, Daniel Mayfield wrote:

>> Enough about sizes; what's your read/write performance like between
>> 512-byte/4K?  I didn't think to test performance in the 4K
>> configuration; I really wish I had, now.
>
> I didn't test performance.  I'm doing all the work running from the
> mfsBSD boot disc.  I'm not sure a simple 'dd' is a good test, but if
> you have suggestions, I'm open.

It's a good test when it shows you can't get more than 20-30MB/sec in
bursts for each disk ;-)  I didn't think to try just dd'ing directly to
the disk versus through a zfs pool; I think the results of that would be
pretty conclusive with regards to whether or not using the new 4K-sector
drives with 512-byte sectors is as bad as I'm seeing, or if it's
something else.

     Trent.