System freezes when trying to enable ZFS

Tomi Pieviläinen tomi.pievilainen at iki.fi
Thu Oct 6 18:17:50 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 09:15:35PM +0300, Tomi Pieviläinen wrote:
> I recently had a system disk break and had to do a reinstall. The
> machine also had a five disk raidz pool for files, that worked fine
> after the reinstall to a new disk and doing an zfs import. However
> after booting the machine again, doing a zfs list or zpool list
> "hangs" the machine.
>
> A message about prefetch problems, filesystem version 4 and pool
> version 15 is printed to the first console, then I can change between
> consoles and write to the first console, but cannot log in via ssh or
> other consoles (trying to write the username outputs nothing in
> console, and ssh never asks for password). The machine does answer to
> ping however, so it's not really completely out of the network either.
>
> I haven't figured out any other way to unfreeze the machine except
> hard reboot, after which the problem can be reproduced by doing
> zfs/zpool list. Before that the machine works fine. Any idea what's
> going on?

Oh, and if it matters, the disks in the raidz pool give errors like
"secondary GPT table is corrupt or invalid" and "secondary GPT header
is not in the last LBA" when booting. Not sure if these happened
already before I did the reinstall, since I hadn't had any problems
and hadn't checked the dmesg then.

--
Tomi Pieviläinen, +358 400 487 504