is TMPFS still highly experimental?

Olivier Smedts olivier at gid0.org
Tue Oct 4 14:19:05 UTC 2011

2011/10/4 Xin LI <delphij at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Olivier Smedts <olivier at gid0.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> Try reducing the swap size to less than the RAM size. No "configuration
>> issue", try with some RAM + swap that should fit all.
>
> But it's not ZFS+tmpfs specific, it can happen anywhere when memory
> and swap is not sufficient.  Of course tmpfs and ZFS should play more
> well together but it's pretty much a "you get what you paid for"
> situation IMHO.

But there's a problem in this configuration and when memory and swap
are sufficient (swap free, some RAM free). tmpfs size drops to 0
because it does not seem to calculate the free size correctly. If
there is sufficient RAM (some RAM free), sufficient swap (all free)
but less swap than RAM, and wired memory usage is high (ZFS ARC),
tmpfs size drops to 0.

--
Olivier Smedts                                                 _
                                        ASCII ribbon campaign ( )

  "Il y a seulement 10 sortes de gens dans le monde :
  ceux qui comprennent le binaire,
  et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas."