Need to force sync(2) before umounting UFS1 filesystems?

Attilio Rao attilio at freebsd.org
Sun Oct 2 00:19:34 UTC 2011

2011/10/1 Kirk McKusick <mckusick at mckusick.com>:
>> Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 12:44:04 -0700
>> Subject: Re: Need to force sync(2) before umounting UFS1 filesystems?
>> From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi at gmail.com>
>> To: Attilio Rao <attilio at freebsd.org>
>> Cc: Kostik Belousov <kostikbel at gmail.com>,
>>         Kirk McKusick <mckusick at mckusick.com>, freebsd-fs at freebsd.org,
>>         Xin LI <delphij at freebsd.org>
>>
>> Ok. Now that I know this is the direction you guys want to go, I'll
>> start testing the change.
>> Thanks!
>> -Garrett
>
> Thanks for throwing some testing at this. Please test my latest
> proposed change (included below so you do not have to dig through
> earlier email) as I believe that it has the least likelyhood of
> problems and is what I am currently proposing to put in.

I'm sorry if it wasn't clear in kib/my latest message, but we don't
need the coveredvnode unlocking logic because of the tegge's commit.

I just think we should commit the change in policy Kirk initially
submitted + a comment on top of vfs_busy() explaining why the deadlock
with coveredvnode cannot happen.

Attilio