'kernel' not found - ZFS on GPT boot

krad kraduk at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 14:11:01 UTC 2011

On 30 September 2011 11:46, Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at acm.org> wrote:

> On 2011-Sep-29 14:22:45 -0400, Patrick Dorion <dorionpatrick at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >I would greatly appreciate any input that could shed light on my
> >issue.  Essentially, a seemingly well-configured ZFS system residing
> >on a GPT partition is not detected by zfsloader.
>
> Your log shows you've correctly used gptzfsloader.
>
> >Fixit# cd /zpool/boot
> >Fixit# ls -l
> >drw------- 2 root 0 2 Feb 17 2011 zfs/
> >
> >Filesystem was taken from /dist/ on the livefs.  All of it is read-
> >only except /boot/zfs.
>
> Do you have /boot/zfs/zpool.cache on zpool?  That's the most obvious
> item that I don't see in your log.
>
> I presume you're aware of http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot
> If that's not the procedure you followed, you might like to cross-
> check the steps fou took against that page.
>
> --
> Peter Jeremy

if it isnt the zpool.cache issue have you 4k aligned the drives? If so you
will need a patched version of the boot loader and zfsloader. You can grab
binary versions here http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/zfsboot/

I'm not sure when its due to get commited but, my clang build of 9-stable
this morning didnt have it