zvol and zfs send no file on the receiving side.

Johan Hendriks joh.hendriks at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 12:56:55 UTC 2011

Pawel Jakub Dawidek schreef:
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 08:26:18AM +0100, Johan Hendriks wrote:
>> Hello all!
>>
>> After some reluctance using zfs i decided it was time to just use it,
>> and it make my life a lot easier.
>> Thank you all !
>>
>> One thing i can not get to work however is sending and receiving a zfs
>> volume.
>>
>> I have a master so to say, and a bacup server.
>> On the master the pool is named storage, on the backup machine the pool
>> is called tank.
>>
>> on the master i did the following.
>>
>> # zfs create -V10G storage/iscsitest
>>
>> if i do a zfs list -t volume, i see that the volume is there.
>>
>> # zfs list -t volume
>> NAME                       USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
>> storage/iscsitest         10.3G  65.9G    16K  -
>>
>> If i go to the directory /storage and do a ls -al
>> i see my zvol file.
>>
>> # ls -al
>> total 1901416
>> drwxr-xr-x   4 root  wheel            5 Nov 25 17:44 .
>> drwxr-xr-x  19 root  wheel         1024 Nov 25 11:33 ..
>> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  10737418240 Nov 25 20:46 iscsitest
> Very interesting that you have this file here. It surely wasn't created
> by ZFS. ZVOL is not regular file, it is a GEOM provider (disk-like device)
> and can be found in /dev/zvol/storage/iscsitest.

I think that the file gets created by the istgt software itself.
i set that path in /usr/local/etc/istgt/istgt.conf
   #LUN0 Storage /storage/iscsitest 10GB
That make me think that it was my zvol.

Well i am glad this is solved it caused me lot of headache, but i have
learned a lot :D

Tonight i will try it all!

regards and thank you both for your time.

Johan Hendriks